Word Nerd Confessions: December
Oops–forgot about November’s word collection. The best solution is to double up. Here we go:
- scilicet: to wit, namely
2. doover: a thingamabob; thingamajig
3. unctuous: excessively smooth, suave, or smug
4. dilly: something or someone regarded as remarkable
5. withershins: in a direction contrary to the natural one, especially contrary to the apparent course of the sun or counterclockwise: considered as unlucky or causing disaster.
6. mondegreen: a word or phrase resulting from a mishearing of another word or phrse, especially in a song or poem.
7. bolide: a large, brilliant meteor, especially one that explodes; fireball.
8. egalitarian: asserting, resulting from, or characterized by belief in the equality of all people, especially in political, economic, or social life.
9. bellicose: inclined or eager to fight; aggressively hostile; belligerent; pugnacious.
10. fain: gladly; willingly.
11. whinge: to complain; whine.
12. fomet: instigate.
13. evanescent: vanishing; fading away; fleeting.
14. mirabilia: marvels; miracles.
15. obfuscate: to make obscure or unclear.
16. tome: a book, especially a very heavy, large or learned book.
17. plaudit: an enthusiastic expression of approval.
18. rodomontade: vainglorious boasting or bragging; pretentious, blustering talk.
19. sinistrality: left-handedness.
20. bight: a bend or curve in the shore of a sea or river.
I am delighted and amazed at the amount of words that are out there that I had no idea existed, but they say so well what needs to be said.
Favorites this round:
whinge–sounds like a combination of wind and whine, for those times when a simple sniffle just won’t do.
mirabilia: amazing wonders need such a word
tome: a big book needs such a term
rodomontade: bragging sounds like something worth bragging about with this word
Found any new favorites?