Pam Webb

a writer's journey as a reader

Word Nerds: There’s a Word for That?

the series of small, jerky movements of the eyes when changing focus from one point to another.

sciamachy: an act or instance of fighting a shadow or an imaginary enemy.

Shadow boxing with a twist

eggcorn: a word or phrase that is a seemingly logical alteration of another word or phrase that sounds similar and has been misheard or misinterpreted.

Does someone pass muster or mustard during an inspection?

ambisinsister: clumsy or unskillful with both hands

flump: to suddenly flop down

diegetic: happening within or being the created world of a story.

borborygmi:rumbling or gurgling sounds caused by the movement of gas in the intestines.

lucubrate: to work, write, or study laboriously, especially at night.

Some serious lucrubate ambiance

Once I retire I look forward to not having to lucrubate lesson plans or needing to grade essays which often contributes to my stress-induced borborygmi.

Single Post Navigation

6 thoughts on “Word Nerds: There’s a Word for That?

  1. My old boss couldn’t ‘phantom’ how things like that worked. (drove me NUTS when he said it)

  2. I first read “ambisinsister” as “ambisinister.” I think my misreading should be a word, to0, LOL. And I would hope that if someone passed mustard during an inspection, they would clean up after themselves.

    Also…You’ve just reminded me of when someone says “short shift” vs. “short shrift.” Does make my eye twitch.

  3. As a retiree, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to flump on a La-Z-Boy. I’m envious.

Comments, anyone?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: