Word Nerd Confessions: Random Exploration
Instead of a theme-oriented post I thought I pull out at random what I have collected over the last couple of months. Hope you find a few you can use.
- furphy: a false report; rumor
2. mellifluous: flowing with honey; sweetened with or as if with honey
3. yare: quick; agile; lively
4. desideraturm: something wanted or needed
5. supercilious: haughtily disdainful or contemptuous, as a person or a facial expression
6. mal du pays: homesickness
7. perfervid: very fervent; extremely ardent; impassioned
8. garboil: confusion
9. lagniappe: a small gift given with a purchase to a customer, by way of compliment or for good measure; bonus
10. friable: easily crumbled or reduced to powder; crumbly
Ten words that can zip up the most mundane of conversations. Think of the possibilities.
“He seemed to enjoy the lagniappe he received for spending so much money in the store.”