Pam Webb

a writer's journey as a reader

The Road Less Traveled

NOT on the road again…sorry, Willy N. image:

The open road tends to beckon when twenty something. That yearning to travel starts young and bubbles up in the teens, often erupting into a boil up upon achieving graduation.

Where to go? Europe, Australia, explore the continental USA–all possibilities.
I was fortunate to travel to Europe when a mere 21, spending the entire summer in Bavaria visiting family, experiencing Deutschland like a native.

No, I did not go total native when visiting Bavaria

Even though I had family around, comforts, experiences, even fabulous doses of chocolate, I was incredibly homesick. Good thing I discovered early my penchant towards being a homebody. I have yet to renew my passport.

From time to time I do wonder what it would be like to see more sights than I have.

For instance, I recently attended a conference and inevitably we shared a bit about our lives. When I hear how some people have been all over the globe and they are barely dipping into their thirties, I reflect as to whether I’ve missed something. Part of me wonders what it would have been like to live in Paris, go to school in England, backpack in Europe, live in Melbourne.  And then I drift away from the postcard daydreams and realize some are born to travel and some are born to stay home.  Dorothy and I got that RubyRed Slipper thang down–we know there is no place like home *click click*

Ruby Slippers

Because being ever so cool–I want those transporter powers of the Ruby Reds image:

I derive great enjoyment and satisfaction from cozying up in my little house. Got my wood-stove for winter, hammock for summer, my recliner couch and remote control, my pillow top bed, choice of clothing, eats, whatever I need. Truly there is no place like home.
Sure it’s nice to get a change of scenery now and then. For instance, that conference I attended? What a tonic to meet new people, exchange new ideas, and explore new places.  However, after the second day, I couldn’t wait to get back home. I will not be joining the corp of retired teachers of RVing around, skipping from one sunny spot to another. Okay, maybe taking off January and February is a possibility. Living in the land of snow and ice can’t always be remedied by the wood-stove and a stack of good books.
So, me, Dorothy, and Toto all agree that there are some mighty cool sights somewhere over the rainbow, but after it’s all said and done, there really is no place like home.


Aah–that cozy home feeling–nothing like it image:

Single Post Navigation

2 thoughts on “The Road Less Traveled

  1. You could see 99% of things in the world and still wish you’d seen the other 1%, it is human nature to crave what we haven’t experienced…oddly I wasn’t bothered about travelling until last year and I am now 32 with irritable eyes.

    Staying in is great though for there are so many places to discover in books that it makes me happy to hang around in one place.

Comments, anyone?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: